Keeping your cat’s litter box clean and hygienic is vital to prevent mess and bad smells. A fresh litter box will also reduce the risk of you and your family coming into contact with pathogens that are present in urine and feces. The problem with traditional litter boxes is that they are messy and unpleasant to clean. For this reason, self-cleaning litter boxes are becoming more and more popular with cat parents.
We reviewed dozens of self-cleaning litter boxes to identify the best of the best, based on factors including functionality, design, affordability, ease of use, and Amazon reviews. We then narrowed down our search to 5 of the top-rated self-cleaning litter boxes on the market.
We’ve identified the PetSafe ScoopFree Original Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box as the best choice for most cat parents. Standout features of this popular and well-designed litter box include non-tracking crystal litter, a covered waste trap, and a plastic tray lining that protects against leakage.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Self-Cleaning Litter Boxes
|Best Overall||PetSafe ScoopFree Original Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box||3.6|
|Runner Up||PetSafe Simply Clean Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box||3.1|
|Best Budget Buy||Omega Paw Roll 'n Clean Self-Cleaning Litter Box||3.8|
|Best Hooded Self-Cleaning Litter Box||PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box||3.6|
|Best Open Self-Cleaning Litter Box||CatGenie Self-Washing Self-Flushing Cat Box||3.7|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: PetSafe ScoopFree Original Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box
The PetSafe ScoopFree Original Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box self-cleans for weeks without the need for scooping, cleaning, or refilling. The automatic rake scoops solid waste beneath a covered waste trap into a disposable litter tray. Built-in safety sensors prevent the rake from scooping if your cat is in the box.
The product comes complete with non-tracking crystal litter for superior absorption and odor control. It also features a plastic tray lining that creates a powerful extra barrier to help protect against leakage. Reviewers of this self-cleaning litter box say it is easy to use and performs well.
PetSafe ScoopFree Original Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box Key Features:
- Automatic rake scoops solid waste
- Built-in safety sensors
- Covered waste trap
- Plastic tray lining prevents leakages
- Includes non-tracking crystal litter for mess and odor control
Our Runner Up Pick: PetSafe Simply Clean Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box
The PetSafe Simply Clean Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box is an innovative automatic litter box that continuously self-cleans throughout the day. The design features a slow-moving bowl that rotates once per hour. During this time, waste is sifted and carried up a conveyor belt into a covered, removable waste bin.
The litter box is suitable for single-cat households, and is designed to be used with clumping cat litter. It is easy to set up and use, and has a low power consumption. Most reviewers of this automatic litter box praise its convenience and ease of use.
PetSafe Simply Clean Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box Key Features:
- Self-cleans throughout the day
- Slow-moving bowl sifts litter
- Removable waste bin
- Suitable for single-cat households
Best Budget Pick: Omega Paw Roll ‘n Clean Self-Cleaning Litter Box
The Omega Paw Roll ‘n Clean Self-Cleaning Litter Box features a unique patented grill system that scoops out waste and deposits it into a slide-out tray. To operate the self-cleaning litter box, simply roll it onto its top, roll it back upright, then remove the tray and discard the mess.
The litter box is made from durable plastic material and requires no liners, filters, or electricity. The simple, economical design is popular with pet parents, and many reviewers say it minimizes fuss and mess.
Omega Paw Roll ‘n Clean Self-Cleaning Litter Box Key Features:
- Patented grill system cleans in seconds
- Simple to use and maintain
- Requires no liners, filters, or electricity
- Made from durable plastic
Best Hooded Self-Cleaning Litter Box: PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box
If your cat prefers a little privacy while using their litter box, check out the PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box. The hooded litter box self-cleans for weeks without the need for scooping, cleaning, or refilling. It also comes complete with PetSafe’s non-tracking crystal litter for reduced mess and odor.
Other key features include a plastic tray lining that protects against leakages, an adjustable rake timer, and a built-in health counter to track litter box usage. Reviewers of this product say it’s easy to use and offers excellent odor control.
PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box Key Features:
- Fully covered design
- Self-cleans for weeks
- Leak protection
- Health counter and adjustable rake timer
- Includes non-tracking crystal litter
Best Open Self-Cleaning Litter Box: CatGenie Self-Washing Self-Flushing Cat Box
The CatGenie Self-Washing Self-Flushing Cat Box features a functional and convenient design that flushes like a toilet. It works by scooping out solid waste, flushing and washing dirty litter, and drying the granules so they’re ready for the next use.
The litter box can be programed with 3 cleaning options to keep it fresh around the clock. It also includes litter-like permanent granules that are 100% dust free and never need changing. This product is suitable for up to 3 average size cats, and has a one-time easy DIY setup. Overall, it’s a great choice for cat parents who want to eliminate the need to change litter.
CatGenie Self-Washing Self-Flushing Cat Box Key Features:
- Convenient self-cleaning design flushes like a toilet
- Cleans and dries granules
- 3 programmable cleaning options
- Easy DIY setup
Who Should Buy a Self-Cleaning Litter Box
If you’re a cat parent who’s tired of scooping up smelly litter, a self-cleaning litter box can be an excellent investment. Self-cleaning litter boxes are also a great option for seniors or those with mobility issues.
Modern self-cleaning litter boxes are available in a wide variety of styles and designs. They also range in price from around $30 to over $300. With so many options to choose from, we recommend conducting thorough research to ensure you choose a product that will meet your needs. Before purchasing a self-cleaning litter box, it’s also important to make sure your cat is fully litter box trained. If you’d like more information on this topic, check out our article on litter box training.
Important Features to Consider
Self-cleaning litter boxes should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a litter box that will make cleanup a breeze:
- Size. Choose a self-cleaning litter box that has plenty of space for your cat to move around. If you share your home with more than one cat, look for a litter box that’s designed for multi-cat households.
- Open or hooded. The decision on whether to buy an open or hooded litter box should depend largely on which style your cat is comfortable with. Some cats prefer the privacy of a hooded box, while others feel safer using an open box. If your cat is used to one style, it’s a good idea to stick to a similar design.
- Ease of use. One of the most important considerations to make when choosing a self-cleaning litter box is ease of use. Check online reviews to find out whether other cat parents find the litter box easy to empty and clean.
- Automatic or manual. Self-cleaning litter boxes can be either automatic or manual. Automatic self-cleaning litter boxes run on electricity. They are often programmable, and scoop litter automatically into a waste bin to be emptied. Manual self-cleaning litter boxes do not use a power source. Instead, they must be rolled or sifted to separate waste. When deciding on the best type of litter box to buy, consider your budget and the features you require.
- Programmable. Some models of automatic self-cleaning litter boxes can be programmed to clean at preset times. This is a convenient feature if you spend a lot of time outside the house.
- Type of litter. Some self-cleaning litter boxes cannot be used with regular cat litter, so it’s important to read the manufacturer’s product information before making a purchase. If specialized litter is required, it’s worth taking into account the price of replacement litter.
- Waste bin. A well-designed self-cleaning litter box should have a removable waste bin that traps odors and prevents spills. For the sake of convenience, we recommend a self-cleaning litter box with a large waste bin that won’t need to be emptied frequently.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a self-cleaning litter box and how does it work?
A self-cleaning litter box is a type of litter box that eliminates the need to scoop your cat’s waste. Self-cleaning litter boxes can be automatic or manual. Automatic self-cleaning litter boxes use an electronic mechanism to automatically scoop waste into a waste bin. By comparison, manual self-cleaning litter boxes must be rolled or sifted to separate waste.
Do self-cleaning litter boxes really work?
Some pet parents swear by self-cleaning litter boxes, while others find them expensive and unreliable. But with so many self-cleaning litter boxes on the market, this is no surprise. Before purchasing a self-cleaning litter box, we recommend conducting thorough research and reading online reviews from verified buyers.
Can you use clumping cat litter in an automatic litter box?
Automatic self-cleaning litter boxes use a mechanism that scoops solid waste into a waste bin. For this reason, they generally work best with clumping cat litter. However, before purchasing a self-cleaning litter box, it’s important to check the manufacturer’s product information for litter recommendations.
How often do you change the cat litter in a self-cleaning litter box?
Several factors will determine how often you should change the cat litter in a self-cleaning litter box. These include the size of the waste bin, the type of litter used, and the number of cats in your household. Most manufacturers of self-cleaning litter boxes will include recommendations for litter replacement in their product information.
Other Self-Cleaning Litter Boxes We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other self-cleaning litter boxes. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best self-cleaning litter boxes list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your cat. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Hooded Self-Cleaning Litter Boxes
- Open Self-Cleaning Litter Boxes
Hooded Self-Cleaning Litter Boxes
A dome-shaped cover designed for the popular CatGenie 120 Self-Washing Self-Flushing Cat Box.
- Transforms the CatGenie 120 Self-Washing Self-Flushing Cat Box into a hooded litter box
- Dome-shaped design provides privacy
- 4 removable sections
FXQIN Simply Clean Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box
This large self-cleaning litter box features a snap-on hood and replaceable carbon filter traps to reduce odor.
- Swinging door for easy access
- Snap-on privacy hood
- Replaceable carbon filter traps
- Stain and odor-resistant material
Litter-Robot Cat Litter Box
A hooded, automatic self-cleaning litter box with an ergonomic entry chamber and self-adjusting cat sensor.
- Self-adjusting cat sensor
- Ergonomic entry chamber
- Receptacle drawer allows for easy waste disposal
- Suitable for cats of all sizes
Omega Paw Elite Self Cleaning Roll ‘n Clean Litter Box
This large roll ‘n clean litter box from Omega Paw features design improvements including a stronger sifting grill and more durable clip design.
- Chrome accents
- Improved grill and clip
- Patented sifting grate
- Litter step to reduce mess
Omega Paw EL-RA15-1 Elite Roll ‘n Clean Litter Box
This standard-sized roll n’clean litter box from Omega Paw is available in stylish blue or midnight black.
- Patented sifting grate
- Requires no electricity, filters, or liners
- Litter step to reduce mess
Omega Paw NRA15-1 Self-Cleaning Litter Box
This well-designed self-cleaning litter box from Omega Paw cleans in seconds. It also requires no electricity, liners, or filters to operate.
- Easy-to-use design cleans in seconds
- Does not require electricity, liners or filters
- New improved design
- Suitable for small to medium size cats
Omega Paw RA20 Self-Cleaning Litter Box
A small roll n’ clean litter box from Omega Paw that effectively controls dust and contains odors. Reviewers say this self-cleaning litter box is ideal for kittens.
- Cleans in seconds without scooping
- Controls dust and contains odors
- Small size is ideal for kittens
PetSafe ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Litter Box and Anti-Tracking Mat Bundle
This hooded litter box self-cleans for weeks with no scooping, cleaning, or refilling required. It also comes complete with an anti-tracking mat to reduce mess and spills.
- Disposable litter tray with leak-proof lining
- Health counter and adjustable timer
- Safety sensors
- Privacy hood
- Anti-tracking mat included
ScoopFree Original Self-Cleaning Litter Box
This self-cleaning litter box features an automatic rake and a disposable litter tray pre-filled with odor-controlling crystals.
- Disposable litter tray
- Sensors and automatic waste rake
- Includes premium blue crystals for superior odor control
SELCNG Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box
A hooded self-cleaning litter tray with an inbuilt bag holder and carbon filter that captures and removes odors.
- Hooded design provides privacy
- Carbon filter captures and removes odors
- Inbuilt bag holder
Open Self-Cleaning Litter Boxes
CatGenie 120 Self-Washing Self-Flushing Cat Box
This automatic self-cleaning litter box flushes waste away and washes itself clean. Most reviewer say the product performs well and reduces mess and odor.
- Convenient self-cleaning design flushes like a toilet
- Uses litter-like washable granules
- Includes biodegradable, recyclable SaniSolution cartridge
- Ideal for average size cats
Le You Pet Semi-Automatic Quick Cleaning Cat Litter Box
A semi-automatic, self-cleaning litter box from Le You Pet that lifts and sifts for hassle-free cleaning. Reviewers say this product is simple and effective.
- Semi-automatic design separates waste effectively
- Drawer-style cleaning box
- Easy to install
LitterMaid Single Cat Self-Cleaning Litter Box
An open self-cleaning litter box with an automatic scooping rake and odor-controlling carbon filters. This product is suitable for single-cat households.
- Automatic scooping rake
- Carbon filters for superior odor control
- High walls to prevent litter scatter
- Suitable for a single cat under 15 pounds
Littermaid Automatic Self-Cleaning Classic Litter Box
This open self-cleaning litter box features a carpeted ramp to prevent litter tracking and extra-high sides to minimize spills.
- Carpeted ramp prevents litter tracking
- Automatic rake for easy cleaning
- Durable drive mechanism
- Extra-high sides to prevent mess
LitterMaid Multi-Cat Self-Cleaning Litter Box
A functional and easy-to-use self-cleaning litter box with an automatic rake and advanced odor control. This product is suitable for multi-cat households.
- Automatic rake scoops waste
- Inbuilt waste receptacles with carbon filters
- High walls and paw cleaning ramp
- Suitable for multi-cat households
Nature’s Miracle Single-Cat Self-Cleaning Litter Box
An open self-cleaning litter box with a smart-detection motion sensor and automatic cleaning rake. This litter box is designed for a single cat under 15 pounds.
- Automatic cleaning rake
- Smart-detection motion sensor
- Paw cleaning ramp and high walls to prevent mess
- Easy setup
- Suitable for single-cat households
Our Pets Smart Scoop Intelligent Bluetooth Self-Cleaning Litter Box
This high-tech, bluetooth-enabled self-cleaning litter box features a health monitoring system and automatic waste scoop.
- Bluetooth pet health monitoring system
- Smartphone app
- Automatic waste scoop
- Works with regular clumping cat litter
Pet Zone EZ Scoop No-Touch Cat Litter Box
A well-designed self-cleaning litter box with an easy scooping motion that cleans in seconds. This product includes an odor neutralizing filter and 4 no-touch waste bags.
- Automatic scooping motion
- Includes filter and waste bags
- Easy to maintain and disassemble
- Designed for hands-free cleanup
Pet Zone Smart Scoop Automatic Litter Box
This rugged and reliable open self-cleaning litter box features a powerful motor unit that runs smoothly and quietly.
- Quiet and smooth operation
- Scoops waste automatically
- Easy to clean and disassemble
- Includes a carbon filter and 6 no-touch waste bags
SmartScoop Self-Scooping Cat Litter Box
A convenient automatic self-cleaning litter box with activated carbon filters to eliminate odor. Most reviewers say this product is simple and easy to use.
- Activated carbon filters to eliminate odor
- Automatic scooping motion
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Powerful, quiet motor
More Pet Reviews:
The Best Dog Food Storage Containers
The Best Dog Hair Bows
The Best Dog Bike Trailers
The Best Reptile Tank Humidifiers
The Best Dog Boots
The Best Dog Wheelchair
The Best Outdoor Cat Houses
The Best Parrot Cages
The Best Plush Dog Toys
The Best Reptile Egg Incubators